Green Card Replacement

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Green Card


The Green Card Replacement Application Guide was developed to help a United States permanent resident (Green Card holder) complete and file his or her own Green Card replacement application without the assistance of an immigration attorney. The application guide contains detailed filing instructions and all the required Green Card replacement application forms.

If you lost your Green Card it should be replaced immediately. This is also true if your Green Card is stolen, mutilated, destroyed, becomes illegible or if it contains incorrect or outdates information. Older versions such as: Form AR-3, Form I-151 and Form I-551 must be replaced by the new version. Individuals that are taking up “Commuter Status” or are automatically being converted to permanent status should also replace their Green Cards.

You should download the Green Card Replacement Guide if one or more of the following applies to you:

Lost or Stolen Green Card: If your Green Card is lost or stolen, you should file for a replacement immediately.

Mutilated or Destroyed Green Card: If your Green Card is mutilated, destroyed or becomes illegible, you should request a replacement immediately.

Name Change: If you have recently changed your name due to marriage or any other reason, you need to request an updated Green Card with the new name.

Incorrect or Outdated Information: If your Green Card contains incorrect or outdated information, you should update it immediately.

Green Card Not Received: Occasionally a Green Card is never received even though the application was approved and the Green Card issued by the USCIS. If you have already submitted a Green Card application, but did not receive it, there are certain procedures to follow to get a new one issued.

Remove “Conditional Residence”: If your Green Card was issued less than 2 years ago, it might be a “conditional Green Card”. A conditional residence Green Cards is valid only for two years. Individuals holding expired conditional Green Cards are considered “Out of Status” and the USCIS may start removal proceedings (deportation). The Green Card Replacement Application Guide contains filing instructions on how to remove the conditional residence and apply for an unconditional and permanent Green Card.

Other Green Card Issues:
Green Card Renewal: Individuals with expired Green Cards may be considered “out of status” and may be denied entry into the United States. It is vital to keep your proof of permanent residence current and valid. If your Green Card was issued over 10 years ago, there is an expiration date printed on the front of the card. You should check your Green Card and verify if needs to be renewed. Download the Green Card Renewal Application Guide for additional information and for filling instructions.

Address Change: Permanent residents (Green Card holders) are required by law to inform the USCIS of any address change. It is a misdemeanor to willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change within 10 days. If you don’t need to make any changes to your Green Card, and only need to update your address, please download the Address Change application guide.
CLICK HERE to download the Green Card Replacement Application. Instructions and Application Forms Included.

The Green Card Replacement Application Guide:

Green Card replacement overview (if Green Card is lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed)
Green Card replacement application instructions
How to remove the “Conditional Residence” status (temporary Green Card)
How to submit a name change
How to inquiry about an application already submitted
How to update incorrect or outdated information
List of required documents
Detailed information on filing fees
Frequently asked questions
List of all USCIS (formerly INS) offices nationwide
List of United States Embassies and Consulates
FREE Green Card Replacement Application Forms

Product Type:  eBook (Download) PDF format

Delivery Time: Instant Download

More Information on Lost and Stolen Green Cards and How to Replace It:

Green Card Marriage
U.S. Citizenship Application
Immigration Guides
Immigration Packages
Immigration Forms