United States Immigration

The United States is a country of immigrants, and these immigrants have made our country the finest in the world. There are several ways to legally immigrate to the United States. United States Citizenship is the greatest benefit when immigrating to America. Citizenship is the next step after obtaining the permanent residence or Green Card. It is possible to apply for a Green Card by Marriage with an American citizen, being sponsored by a United States employer, by investing in the United States, through relatives who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and by the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program (Green Card Lottery). Most citizens receive their citizenship by birth even when they are born abroad from American parents, but non-Americans can apply for U.S. citizenship through the process of Naturalization. After an individual has been a United States permanent resident for a few years then can apply for U.S. Citizenship.   Residents who have been married to a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years are eligible to apply for Citizenship after 3 years, but other residents have to wait 5 years to apply for naturalization. Citizenship provides the maximum available rights in a country. Citizens of the United States may find many advantages, like using an American passport when traveling abroad.

United States Visas

There are several types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas to enter the United States.  It is very important that you request the right type of visa for your situation, according to your travel intentions to the United States. Visitors traveling as tourists or for business that wish to enter the United States temporarily and stay for a short time should request a non-immigrant visa.  The people that wish to live in the U.S., and that are eligible for any of the available visa types, should apply for an immigrant visa, either through employment, or request permanent residence through immediate relatives that are U.S. citizens.

  • B-1 Business Visa
  • B-2 Tourist Visa
  • Tourist Visa Extension
  • C-1 Transit Visa
  • F-1 Student Visa
  • J-1 Exchange Visa
  • H-1B Work Visa
  • H-2B Work Visa
  • K-1 Fiancée/Fiancé Visa
  • R-1 Religious Workers
  • TN Nafta Work Visa
  • Green Card

Immigration News


Ask the Immigration Lawyer

Ask a Lawyer online

Ask questions to a United States Immigration Lawyer. Send your questions online and a specialized US immigration attorney will answer your questions during a phone consultation or by e-mail. In addition to the Ask Lawyer service, you also can order the answer to US Immigration Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Ask Immigration Attorney

US Immigration attorneys or lawyers, specialize in U.S. immigration law. If you have immigration-related questions, you can use our service to submit immigration questions online to a certified immigration attorney, who will answer your questions by e-mail in 2 business days, or you can schedule a phone consultation to ask questions and receive answers and comments from an immigration attorney over the phone.

US immigration attorneys can help you process your case and submit your immigration application or just clarify how to apply and you can file any application by yourself.  US Immigration law doesn’t require having an attorney to submit your application or petition, but it is recommended to use the help of an experienced immigration attorney. US Immigration lawyers usually can help you not only with immigration questions, but also issues about US business and family law.

Some US immigration attorneys offer immigration and other legal services, including all types of matters about U.S. immigration, visa, naturalization, consular law, petitions, and green cards.  An experienced immigration lawyer can help you with family-based immigrant petitions, including adjustments of status, K-1, K-2, and K-3 visas, and Special Immigrant (I-360) petitions.

Complicated applications about non-immigrant work and investor visas in the E, H, TN, L, O, and P categories, as well as business (B-1) visitor visas, are better handled by an experienced US Immigration attorney.  We can schedule a phone consultation or email consultation with an experienced immigration attorney who can help you with answers or services for obtaining permanent resident (“green card”) status for individuals in EB-1 and EB-2.

We offer translation services in English, French, Spanish, and Russian so you can submit your immigration questions in any of these languages.

Ask the Immigration Lawyer David Katona

David Katona specializes in immigration law, you can submit immigration questions online and he will answer in 2 business days.  Learn more about David Katona and how to ask him questions online.  He can help you processing your case and submitting your application. Mr. Katona is very experienced in all the aspects of business and family immigration, and in the defense and federal appeals of removal (or deportation). This U.S. immigration lawyer is an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the New York City Bar Association. He currently serves as the Co-Chair of the Corporate Practice Committee of AILA’s New York Chapter.  Mr. Katona serves as a co-founding partner of the law firm Katona & Mir LLP and continues to practice exclusively in the area of immigration law. In addition to being a partner at Katona & Mir, Mr. Katona also serves as an Of Counsel immigration consultant to law firms in New York City and Palo Alto, California. He speaks 3 languages, English, Spanish and Hungarian. Submit your immigration questions to the immigration lawyer David Katona.